— Mavis' recurring catchphrase
- 1 Personality
- 2 Official Profile
- 3 Biography
- 4 Hotel Transylvania 2
- 5 Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Memorable Quotes (Hotel Transylvania)
- 8 Memorable Quotes (Hotel Transylvania 2)
- 9 Memorable Quotes (Hotel Transylvania 3)
- 10 Young Mavis Quotes
- 11 Gallery
- 12 Videos
- 13 Trivia
- 14 References
Personality[edit | edit source]
Pampered, headstrong, intelligent, curious, flirtatious, dramatic, independent, kind, cute, romantic, sweet, adorable, beautiful, seductive, sassy, smart, slightly bored, motherly, snarky, gentle
Mavis Dracula Loughran is the deuteragonist of the Hotel Transylvania series and movies. She is the deuteragonist of Hotel Transylvania, one of the two tritagonists (alongside Jonathan Loughran) of Hotel Transylvania 2, and the tritagonist of Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation. She is the Vampire daughter of Count Dracula and Martha of Lubov Castle.
In the first film, she is 118 years old and meets Jonathan Loughran.
In the second film, she gives birth to Dennis.
She has been described as being 126 years old as of the 3rd film, implying 8 years have passed since the first film.
Official Profile[edit | edit source]
Age[edit | edit source]
She turns 118 in the first film.
Although this is not present in the dialogue of Hotel Transylvania 2, its novelization by Stacia Deutsch includes added dialogue indicating how old Mavis is (probably 119) as she prepares to wed Johnny:
- page 3: "Daddy, I love him so much, but am I doing the right thing? He's my zing, but I'm so young! I'm still just a hundred teenager!"
- page 4 "Girls mature faster," Dracula told her. "And you're practically a hundred and twenty."
Chapter 2 begins "A few years later" (minimum 2, so Mavis must be at least 121 years old) and is when Mavis announces her pregnancy to her father.
This means that by the time of the end of the film when Dennis turns five, Mavis must be at least 126 years old.
In one of the earlier drafts, Linda commented "you’re a hundred twenty something!" but this line was cut from the final film.
Physical Appearance[edit | edit source]
Mavis is a beautiful and slender pale-skinned vampire with shoulder-length Raven black hair that has bangs hanging over her forehead and wide blue eyes.
She usually wears a black turtleneck short-sleeved dress with long black fingerless gloves, black and red striped tights or leggings and red Converse shoes. Either her makeup or her natural features portray her with black lips, lined eyes and dusky eyelids.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Mavis is a headstrong, intelligent, curious, cheerful and independent vampire who has an attitude, but she is very sincere and gentle. She wants a little bit of independence and freedom from her father's overbearing nature and frequently gets exasperated with his ministrations. She dreams of exploring the world and experiencing all the sights and sounds that the world has to offer, but all that becomes a reality when she meets Jonathan and falls in love, or zings, with him before discovering he is human. She also has a caring nature, no matter how horrible the circumstances. When she was in the fake human village her father created, she was worried about the false humans who were on fire even though they were attempting to physically injure her.
In the second film, after becoming a mother, Mavis begins to adopt some of her father's over protectiveness and attachment to her child. She takes extreme measures for his safety rarely leaving his side and wanting to move to California in order for her son to grow up in a safe environment and around other children like him. Unlike her father she doesn't seem to care that Dennis isn't a full vampire and accepts him for who he is, even standing up to people who she assumes are prejudicing him for being a hybrid. Though she also seems to want him to be human.
However, she does still show some carefree habits in her later years, such as destroying a piñata, gorging herself on a slushie, and performing bike tricks.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Early Life[edit | edit source]
In 1894, Mavis was born to Dracula and Martha in Transylvania, Romania. After the death of her mother, she lived alone with her father until she was a young toddler. Later, her father moved himself and Mavis to live inside the newly constructed Hotel Transylvania, intending to keep her there forever in order to insure her safety from the outside world.
Life At The Hotel[edit | edit source]
Not much is known as to what Mavis did for the vast majority of her life while living inside the hotel, but it's known that she grew tired of living in the hotel and desired to journey and see the world, even wanting to meet humans.
Mavis's 118th birthday[edit | edit source]
While her father was preparing for her 118th birthday, she practiced what to say to her father about going to see the world in her mirror (despite not casting a reflection), indicating that she was nervous and had asked before multiple times. Dracula goes to greet Mavis in her room, where he then permits her to leave. Mavis runs to her closet, mostly filled with the same attire she is wearing, to get her suitcase and is about to fly out the window when a surprised Dracula stops her and asks where she was going. Mavis answered that she's going to Paradise (referring to Hawaii) where her parents first met and that Wanda said to her they immediately were like "zing". Mavis shrinks to bat form, telling her father that she's bored of the same parties every year. Although she loves them, she wants to see new things and maybe meet someone her age. She gives Dracula the "Pouty Bat Face". Dracula lets Mavis go to a village nearby for her first time in the real world, which she doesn't know is a trick he has devised. Mavis hugs her father, thanking him for trusting her. Frankenstein, Wayne, Wanda, Griffin and Eunice come in to greet her and Mavis tells them about her going to the village. They tell her to be safe as she jumps out the window and flies to the village, unaware that her father was following her. Her father does not want her to leave. The human village was fake--Dracula had forced the zombies to dress up as horrible vampire-killing humans. Mavis tries to calm the false humans, but to no avail. Dracula's trick works, and Mavis flies back to the hotel and tells her father that she no longer wants to leave, making him ecstatic--although he tries to hide it.
Meeting Jonathan[edit | edit source]
While Mavis escorts her aunt Wanda down the stairs into the front lobby of the hotel, she is knocked off the stairs by a human boy named Jonathan after he accidentally rides on a witch's broomstick after realizing the monsters were real. The two look up and lock eyes with each other, instantly feeling something for one another. This is later referred to as a Zing. However, before Mavis can introduce herself, Dracula takes Jonathan away before she can discover that he is a human.
Mavis later meets up with her father again as he is trying to fly Jonathan out the window. Since Jonathan had been discovered, Dracula brings Jonathan back into the hotel, and instructs him to play along and keep his human identity a secret. Mavis instantly takes a liking to Jonathan as her father tells her that Jonathan is close to her age. When Jonathan asks how old Mavis is, he is startled at first to discover she is 118 years old, but when Dracula elbows him, he remembers his plan to keep his humanity a secret and lies, telling her he is 121. A knight reports an emergency to Dracula, but he was too occupied to notice Jonathan. Mavis becomes suspicious of why Dracula isn't going to check on the emergency, assuming it's because of Jonathan, but Dracula lies that it doesn't have anything to do with him. Mavis decides to keep him company while Dracula checked on the emergency, but Dracula refused so that Jonathan would have time to "party plan," referring to Jonathan's fake identity as a party planner. Mavis decides that if Jonathan is free, they could hang out, and Dracula escorts her out. Dracula takes Jonathan away into the hotel caves in order to sneak him out of the hotel.
Time With Jonathan[edit | edit source]
After Dracula fails to sneak Jonathan out of the hotel, Mavis meets up with Jonathan and finally introduces herself. When she asks Jonathan his name, he quickly makes up a fake name called "Jonathanstein" in resemblance to his Frankenstein disguise. As the day progresses, Mavis spends time with Jonathan in various hotel activities created by Dracula, and later participates in a game of "chicken fight" with him at the pool.
After Jonathan is kicked out of the hotel by Dracula, Mavis meets up with him outside the hotel, and convinces him to come with her to the roof. When they get there, Jonathan makes a comment that you can almost see Budapest from here. Mavis takes a liking to Jonathan's knowledge of the world and becomes a little saddened that she herself has never seen anything besides the hotel. The sun begins to come up and Mavis burns her foot from the sunlight. Seeing this, Jonathan takes her to the edge of the chimney, and hides Mavis inside his shadow to show her the sunrise. Blown away, Mavis comments that this is the most incredible thing she has ever seen. But the moment was ruined when Jonathan fell through a weak part of the roof and landing in the sauna where Dracula and his friends were. While looking for Jonathan, Dracula almost collides with Mavis while looking for Quasimodo who kidnapped Jonathan to cook after Dracula experienced real fun with Jonathan. He was confused of why she was still up while the sun was up as it would kill her. Mavis asked Dracula where Jonathan was, and Dracula asked if she liked him. When Dracula hears that Mavis thinks Jonathan is adorable, he secretly orders the suit of armor to stop Quasimodo from reaching the kitchen, but failed. Dracula tries to convince Mavis that there's no falling in love at her age, but Mavis knew her mother fell in love with Dracula at her age and that she kissed Dracula first as he was scared to make the first move. Dracula tells Mavis to forget about his relationship with Martha, but Mavis convinces him that she'll get married as she can't stay in the hotel forever. The suit of armor reports their failure and Dracula leaves.
Learning the Truth[edit | edit source]
When it was time for the party, Mavis sewed a cape with her shirts and attends her birthday party. Jonathan admires her beauty and shows her all the places he had been with magical dragonflies. Mavis was amazed by this and dances with Jonathan. Slowly Mavis begins to stop dancing, staring at Jonathan. Jonathan starts to get scared, but Mavis insists that maybe it's a good thing as she leans in and kisses him.
Her father, Dracula sees this and immediately becomes outraged at Jonathan. Mavis tries to tell him that it was just a kiss, but she is shut down by her father who tells her she is not allowed to kiss. Mavis gets into an argument with Drac telling him she is allowed to do things and like people. She tells Drac that she even wants to go back to the village and try to make friends with the humans again. Dracula shouts back that that isn't possible, and Mavis shouts back why can't she, as Drac finally reveals that the village doesn't really exist and that it was all a trick. Mavis is hurt by this, demanding to know why he is okay with him keeping her trapped inside the hotel when he knew her dream was to leave.
Just then, the frozen Quasimodo enters the room and with the help of the Fly and Esmeralda reveals Jonathan's human identity. As the entire party erupts into panic, Mavis approaches Jonathan asking him if he really is a human. He says yes, and apologizes for lying to her. Mavis embraces Jonathan and hugs him, announcing that she doesn't care and still wants to be with him. However, Jonathan, who thinks that Dracula will suck all the blood from his body, rejects Mavis lying that he hates monsters and leaves the hotel. When Dracula tries to comfort Mavis, she explodes with anger at her father, telling him that this is all his fault and flies away.
Zing[edit | edit source]
Mavis retreats to the roof where she sits sadly with the present her mother, Martha, made her in hopes she would receive it during her 118th birthday. When Dracula finds her, Mavis asked him if he would erase her memory of everything that happened, but Dracula didn't want her to forget too much as Mavis cries that Dracula was right about humans hating monsters. Mavis shows her father the book and reads it, telling the tale of how Dracula and Martha "Zinged" and were destined to be with each other. Mavis thinks it was only her who zinged with Jonathan, and that she has no dreams and is like her dad. Mavis flies back to her room with sorrow.
Having realized his mistake, Dracula journeys to retrieve Jonathan for Mavis before he leaves Transylvania. When Drac returns to Mavis, he tells her that he wants her to live her life, and shows her that Jonathan has returned. When Mavis asks Jonathan why he's back, Jonathan walks up to Mavis and explains to her that she is his zing. Jonathan explains to her that he didn't really want to reject Mavis' affection at her party, and that he only did it because he was afraid of what Dracula would do to him (Dracula eventually admits that he might have drained Jonathan dry). Mavis and Jonathan lock eyes once more and they finally have a proper kiss. Mavis spends the rest of her birthday with Jonathan as her new boyfriend.
The Wedding[edit | edit source]
Shortly after the end of the first film, Mavis gets married to her boyfriend Jonathan when she was 119 years old. On the day of the wedding, she begins spending her time getting ready and posing for photos, despite not appearing in any of them because of her being a vampire.
The wedding begins with Mavis walking down the aisle to Jonathan. As she is walking, her father, Dracula, looks on at his daughter feeling so proud. Jonathan slips the wedding ring onto Mavis's finger and they kiss. Following the ceremony, everyone slow dances with each other. Mavis is close to Jonathan as they dance together, then Dracula takes Mavis's hand to dance with her as Linda, Jonathan's mother, takes his hand to dance with him. Mavis and her father dance up the wall onto the ceiling. As they are dancing, Mavis asks Dracula why her grandpa Vlad didn't come. Dracula explains to her that Vlad would not have been okay with her marrying a human, and that he isn't as enlightened as he is. Mavis tries to say if only Vlad could meet Jonathan, but Dracula assures her that he would have killed him, and it's best that they never meet. Mavis finally asks her father if he himself is okay with her marrying a human. Dracula smiles and assures her that as long as she is happy, it doesn't matter who or what she marries.
Baby Dennis[edit | edit source]
One day, Mavis and Jonathan go to see Dracula, Jonathan excitingly tells Drac that Mavis would like to go flying with him. Dracula happily agrees, and the two dive off the balcony, transform into bats and fly off. As they are flying Mavis and Drac play a game of hide-and-seek inside the clouds, but shortly after Mavis becomes winded and has to stop to catch her breath (considering that she is alive, in a manner of speaking). When Dracula asks her what's wrong, Mavis calmly tells him that she's pregnant and shows him her pregnant stomach. Overcome with joy, Dracula flies straight upward bursting through the clouds and excitingly announces that he's going to be a grandpa, while Jonathan is excited about being a dad.
Mavis begins to spend most of her time in bed resting in preparation for the baby while asking Jonathan to bring her ice cream with anchovies. Dracula tries to feed Mavis certain monster foods to make sure the baby is born a proper vampire. Mavis thanks her father, but tells him that they don't even know if the baby will be a vampire or not. Mavis tells Dracula that she would be thrilled if the baby turned out to be a human just like her husband Jonathan. However, Dracula assures her that the baby will be a vampire with the thousands of years of Dracula genes they have.
Months later, Mavis is finally ready to have her baby. In the delivery room she gives birth to a healthy baby boy, and they decide to name him Dennis, after his paternal great-grandfather. Dracula bursts into the delivery room with joy announcing that the Dracula bloodline carries on, and telling young Dennis that he will never let anything happen to him.
Taking Care of Dennis[edit | edit source]
One year later, Mavis and the group celebrates Dennis's 1st birthday. After Dennis blows out his birthday candle, Mavis takes him over to the presents corner to give him his birthday presents. Murray shows up with excitement as he gives Dennis his present, a cursed golden necklace. However, the necklace is heavier than Dennis and he falls flat on his face. Next Eunice and Frank give Dennis their present, a child guillotine toy. Mavis thanks them, but quickly takes it away telling them that she needs to baby proof it first. Having inherited her father's protectiveness, Mavis has the entire hotel baby proofed in order to protect Dennis.
As Dennis grows up he finally begins to speak. Mavis excitingly calls Jonathan and Dracula to show them. Mavis holds Dennis up to Drac as he says "Bleh, bleh, bleh" to his face. Annoyed, Dracula says that he does not say "Bleh, bleh, bleh". When asked where he learned to say that Mavis with a guilty look on her face assures Drac that he maybe sometimes says it. After Dracula leaves Mavis, she begins to play with Dennis again, saying "Bleh, bleh, bleh" as Dennis mimics her. Suddenly Drac appears from the ceiling catching Mavis in the act. "It was you!" he shouts.
As Dennis continues to grow up into 4 years of age, Mavis continues to pamper him and protect him from anything that could be harmful to him. Mavis has him sleep during the night unlike other vampires, and has him take human classes during the day. She only lets him eat healthy human food like avocados, and even discourages him from playing with the other monsters because she feels they are too rough on Dennis. Dracula sees all this and fears that it is preventing him from being a monster. Dracula encourages Mavis to let Dennis attend six of The Werewolf Kids' birthday party during the night. Mavis agrees to let Dennis go, admitting that she may be being a little overprotective.
When Mavis and Dennis arrive at the party Mavis is overwhelmed by all the cool birthday activities, making her feel like a kid again. Mavis participates in a game of limbo, showing off her skills to the other kids. Just then she spots a piñata, overcome with joy she quickly breaks it open causing all the candy to fall out. The werewolf kids spot this and all rush to the candy. In a sugar fueled rampage they wreck havoc and accidentally knock into Dennis, sending him flying through air and knocks his tooth out as he hits the ground. Mavis quickly rushes to her son to make sure he is okay, but Dracula sees this and his overcome with joy thinking this means a fang will start to grow in the lost tooth's place. Annoyed Mavis scolds her father saying that Dennis is not a monster, and he can't make him be something he isn't. Mavis notices the sun will be up soon and puts on some sun screen and a hat, and takes Dennis home.
Vacation in California[edit | edit source]
Shortly after the werewolf pup's birthday party, Dracula convinces Mavis to go on a vacation to Jonathan's hometown, Santa Cruz. Mavis agrees thinking this would be a good opportunity to see if California would be a better place to raise Dennis. Mavis tells her father, Dracula, all the things he will need to do for Dennis while she and Jonathan are away. Dracula assures her everything will be fine. Mavis says goodbye to Dennis then she and Jonathan step into the hearse, and drive to the airport.
Mavis and Jonathan arrive in Santa Cruz safely, and begin to drive into town. Mavis tries to call to check on Dennis, but Jonathan explains to her that Dennis is probably asleep in Transylvania right now. As they drive into town Mavis excitingly asks Jonathan what he wants to show her first. Jonathan is slow to respond, and tells Mavis that there isn't much to do at night since everything is closed. Just then, Mavis spots a 24 hour mini-mart and asks Jonathan to take her there. In the mini-mart, Mavis becomes blown away by all the different types of choices humans have when it comes to snacks. She eagerly asks Kal the cashier how people decide what flavored chips to get. Mavis then spots a slurpee machine and instantly rushes over to see it. Mavis shows Jonathan that the slurpees come in 48 flavors and immediately begins to drink them all. Jonathan tries to tell her that they might not have time to try all the flavors, but Mavis tells Jonathan with joy that the store is open all night. Mavis then sees a security camera and becomes excited. She starts jumping up and down in front of the camera, thinking it's for a live TV show.
Mavis and Jonathan start driving around the city again in search of something to do. Mavis spots a skate park and asks Jonathan to take her there. When Mavis gets there she looks around exclaiming that everything looks so fun. Jonathan explains to Mavis that biking around can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, but reassures her that he is a master. Mavis smiles and rolls her eyes. She watches as Jonathan rides up and down on a bike, eventually crashing and destroying the bike. Mavis excitingly asks to have a turn. Mavis borrows a bike from a kid, and takes off on the bike, leaving behind a fire trail. She zips up the ramp and starts to ride on the power lines, performing all sorts of surreal tricks. After she is done all the kids start to applaud Mavis and ask her where she learned to bike. Mavis smiles and tells them Transylvania. After the kids all leave Mavis tells Jonathan that this would be a great place to raise Dennis. Jonathan, still unsure, follows Mavis out of the park with doubt.
Finally, Jonathan takes Mavis to his parents, Mike and Linda's, house. When they arrive Mavis hugs Mike and Linda, then begins to walk around the house, curious about all the different things inside a human home. Linda shows Mavis their room they can sleep in. Inside the room, one half is normal, while the other side for Mavis is all 'monster' like. Mavis starts to feel uncomfortable, but thanks Linda anyway. Just then, Pandragora, a local monster arrives at the house after being invited by Linda to make Mavis feel better about her being a monster too. Mavis starts to feel really uncomfortable and retreats to the house's roof. Jonathan follows her up there to try to make her feel better. Mavis explains to Jonathan that she feels weird being here, like she doesn't belong. She tells Jonathan that it might be best for Dennis to grow up in Santa Cruz so he doesn't grow up to be all freaky like her. Jonathan turns to Mavis and tells her that she's not a freak. He tells her that she is full of life and curious about everything, and that if Dennis grew up to be just like her he would be the luckiest dad ever. Mavis smiles and tells Jonathan that she loves him, and then hugs him. Feeling better, Mavis says that they would be happy no matter where they live, as long as they're together. Just then, Jonathan gets a video message from a friend on his phone and shows it to Mavis. Mavis looks at it, and thinks the person in the video she saw was Dennis, but before she can look again, Jonathan deletes the message. Frantic, Mavis quickly calls her father, Dracula. When Dracula answers Mavis demands to know where they are. After hearing sirens and other abnormal noises, Mavis hangs up and decides they need to go back to Transylvania.
Jonathan and Mavis quickly rush to the airport. Mavis tries to get a flight, but is unable to do so due to flights being canceled. Furious, Mavis hisses and growls at the woman working at the desk. Seeing no other option, Mavis transforms into a bat, picks up Jonathan, and begins to fly herself back to the hotel.
After they arrive back at the hotel, Mavis quickly scolds her father after catching him in his lies about where he took Dennis. Mavis shows Dracula the video of him throwing Dennis off a tower and insulting her. Some vampire children had recorded the daredevil act and one of them had even uploaded it on his YouTube channel. Mavis picks up Dennis and walks away, upset with the fact that Dracula can't accept Dennis as a human.
Dennis's Party[edit | edit source]
In preparation for Dennis's upcoming fifth birthday party, Mavis invites Jonathan's entire family over to the hotel for dinner. At the dinner Mavis chats with Linda about the family. Linda asks Mavis how she lost her mother, Mavis replies that she was killed by angry humans. To break the awkward silence Linda asks Mavis about other members of her family. Mavis tells Linda that she does have a grandpa, and that she even invited him to Dennis's birthday party. Dracula spits out his blood drink upon hearing this, demanding Mavis to tell him why he would invite Vlad. Mavis explains that Vlad has never met Dennis, and that this would be a great opportunity. Later at the dinner, Jonathan announces to the table that they're going to have a monster costume party at Dennis' party. Mavis is confused of the idea, but goes along with it.
At the party, Mavis walks around with some food, but she then runs into Mike and Linda, who are now dressed up as zombies for the party. Mavis backs up feeling uneasy, but still tries to be nice to them. Later, Mavis walks up to Jonathan as they watch Kakie the Cake Monster's performance on stage. Mavis notices her grandfather, Vlad, up on the stage with Kakie. Just then, Kakie begins to act very strange and transforms into a real monster, and begins to shout at Dennis. After Dracula changes Kakie back to normal, Mavis confronts her father, demanding to know what that all was. Dracula confesses that it was his last attempt to make Dennis a vampire. Jonathan tries to defend Dracula by saying that Dennis wouldn't like it in Santa Cruz. Mavis turns to Jonathan, outraged that he was apart of all this. She yells at Jonathan, telling him that he isn't a monster and that he likes avocados. Jonathan fires back by telling her that she doesn't let him eat anything fun. Linda thinks Dennis wants to be a normal kid. Mavis tells anyone to stop saying “normal”. Dracula tries to jump into the conversation by saying Dennis is normal where monsters are living now. Mavis turns to her father, and yells at him, telling him that he can't change Dennis, and that he is who he is.
Bela's Attack[edit | edit source]
After Drac yells at Vlad for not accepting Dennis, Mavis is touched by her father's words and finally realizing how overprotective she was runs up and hugs him. Then everyone notices that Dennis is missing. Everyone starts to panic and search the hotel for Dennis. After being unable to find him, Mavis yells at Vlad, regretting ever inviting him. Mavis transforms into a bat and flies off with her father into the nearby forest to look for Dennis as Jonathan and the rest of the group follow behind.
As Mavis approaches the forest with her father she hears a loud roar. Mavis and Dracula quickly fly to the origin of the roar thinking Dennis is in trouble. When they arrive, Mavis is amazed to see that Dennis has transformed into a bat and is fighting off Bela on his own. Mavis rushes to hug Dennis, feeling so proud of him. However, Dennis senses Bela's Army approaching, and he flies off to fight them. Mavis and Dracula look at the approaching horde and smile, ready to take them on. Mavis uses her increased strength to punch and fight off the bat cronies. She uses her shape-shifting powers to transform into a mouse to scare the Bat Cronies, and then uses her telekinesis to crush them with a bunch of rocks. After the horde is defeated Mavis returns to Dennis. Dennis asks Mavis if he can stay at the hotel now, now that he's a vampire. Mavis smiles and says yes.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
Afterwards, Mavis and everyone else return to the Hotel to continue celebrating Dennis's birthday party. Mavis is seen happily dancing with Jonathan while observing Dennis and the rest of the guests enjoying the party. Mavis is last seen with Dennis as he is about to blow out his birthday cake candles only for the celebration to be interrupted by the elderly gremlin who eats the cake whole in one bite.
Overworked[edit | edit source]
At the hotel, a wedding is happening for two prickly monsters. While Dracula and the groom are waiting at the altar, Mavis and the rest of the bridesmaids are busy calming down the bride, Lucy. Lucy sobs hysterically and begins to shoot spikes out of her body. Mavis comforts Lucy and assures her that the wedding day will be perfect. Mavis tells Lucy about her wedding day with Jonathan, and how it was the best day of her life. Mavis reassures Lucy that a zing is meant to be, and she should cherish hers. Lucy stops crying and thanks Mavis, and reaches out to hug her. Mavis comforts Lucy, while dodging all her spikes.
After the monster couple kiss, Dennis' giant pet dog Tinkles runs into the room, tearing apart all the chairs and tables. Dracula calms the dog down, and escorts it out. Mavis apologizes to Dennis, telling him that he can't bring his pet everywhere he wants. Dracula mutters to himself while walking away, asking whose idea it was to get Dennis a pet. Mavis chuckles, reminding Dracula that it was his idea.
While checking on the honeymoon suite, Mavis finds her dad nervously cleaning the attic. Mavis confronts her dad and tells him that he's been stressed out from working all the time. Dracula hastily agrees with Mavis and pushes her out the room.
Mavis returns to her room where Jonathan, Dennis, and Tinkles are all sleeping together. Mavis looks at them and smiles. Jonathan groggily asks Mavis if there's still time for a date night, but quickly falls back asleep. Mavis sits down next to them all and looks at the TV. Mavis tries to change the channel, but the remote stops working. Mavis tunes into the TV and notices there's a commercial for a monster cruise. Mavis smiles as an idea forms in her head.
Monster Vacation[edit | edit source]
Mavis sets up a plane flight on a gremlin run airplane to the location of the cruise ship. During the flight Mavis attempts to calm Dracula down, and get him to relax. When the crew finally arrive at their destination, Mavis surprises Dracula and her family with a cruise. Dracula is hesitant at first, but changes his mind after seeing how happy Mavis, Jonathan, and Dennis are. Mavis hugs her dad, and they all begin to board the ship.
Relationships[edit | edit source]
Family[edit | edit source]
- Vlad - Vlad is Mavis's grandfather (Drac's father) who she never had met due to complicated relationship between Drac and Vlad. When Mavis invited him to her son's 5th birthday, Dracula became worried of Vlad learning about human and monster co-existence. But after Mavis's outrage towards her grandfather about her son, Vlad began to accept that his great-grandson is half-human.
- Dracula - Mavis and her father don't always see eye to eye sometimes but at the end of the day, they love each other and Mavis understands her dad is just trying to protect her. Even if that means being extremely annoying and unreasonable. She was furious with her father when she learned that he lied and tricked her but eventually forgave him when he returned Jonathan to her and allowed them to date.
- Martha - Mavis never really knew her mother, since she passed away when Mavis was a baby, although she still thinks about her constantly. Martha means a lot to Mavis and so did the present Martha left for her to open when she turned 118.
- Dennis - Dennis is Mavis and Jonathan's son. She is quite protective of him, being a loving mother. She doesn't try forcing Dennis to try finding his inner monster, instead being happy with whoever he ends up being. In fact she seems to be against her son finding his inner monster. As the hotel appears to be too dangerous a place for Dennis to live in, Mavis considered moving to Jonathan's home town Santa Cruz; however, Dracula, Jonathan and even Dennis are against the idea.
- Mike and Linda - Mike and Linda are Mavis's parents-in-law. Mavis loves Jonathan and tries to show that same love and respect to his family. Mavis and Mike have a good relationship as shown when Mavis hugged him when she arrived at their house in Santa Cruz. Mavis and Linda also have a good relationship, although sometimes Mavis can be kinda annoyed by Linda's ignorance to the monster culture. Even so Mavis does her best to cooperate with Mike and Linda, and be kind to them. Mavis even agreed to sleep during the night and be awake during the day when she arrived in Santa Cruz to better fit in with the other human's schedules in California.
- Ericka Van Helsing - Mavis was suspicious of Ericka from the start when they first met. Her suspicions were confirmed to be real when she discovered that Ericka was trying to kill her father the entire time they were on the cruise. However, after seeing Ericka risk her life to save Dracula and the other monsters, Mavis accepted Ericka as a perfect soulmate for her father. Mavis was one of the many people waiting on the roof of the hotel, eagerly awaiting to see Dracula's proposal to Ericka.
Romance[edit | edit source]
- Jonathan Loughran - They are in love and began their relationship at the end of the first movie. As of the second film, they are married and have started a family. Although Jonathan has a slacker attitude towards everything, he is always there for Mavis when she needs him, and vice versa.
Memorable Quotes (Hotel Transylvania)[edit | edit source]
- "Dad, you said that when I turned 118, I could go out in to the world like every other adult that gets to come and go from this hotel. (In Dracula's voice) But Mavy-Wavy, it's not safe. Bleh, bleh bleh! (In normal voice) Dad, 30 years ago you promised. I remember, we were both eating mice you specifically said that you gave me your word."
- "Thank you, Dad. I know it's my birthday."
- "Aha! I knew you were gonna say that, but Dad you gave me your word. You know that I know that a Dracula's word is sacred, that our trust is the core of our...... Wait what?"
- "You're just playing with me."
- "Holy Rabies!"
- "Oh, well....I'm going to Paradise, and this is some stuff that I thought I would need."
- "Not as excited as I am right now. You're not gonna believe this, but Dad is letting me go out on my own to see a human village!"
- "Bye everyone! WHOOHOO!"
- "Hi humans!"
- "Holy Rabies! You're on fire. Can I do anything? Can I help you?"
- "Dad, you were right, humans are awful. They were everything you said. They wanted to bite my toes. And they had garlic, on bread!"
- "I'm so sorry I doubted you. *sighs* I'll never leave here again."
- "You needed help?"
- "Yeah. My Mom picked it."
- "So are you gonna tell me your name?"
- "No you're not. Frankenstein is my uncle over there. The gentleman hugging zombie Mozart."
- "He's your cousin.... Johnnystein."
- "I am so blown away right now!"
- "Alright, Dad, alright. Johnny, you're coming too!"
- "Follow me."
- "You sure? It'll be fun."
- "Budapest? Is that near Hawifi?"
- "A human music festival?"
- "So did they all bite your toes and shove garlic bread in your face?!"
- "What?! Pffff... no! Come on Dad. He's so weird and awkward! It's like.... Are you an idiot? Or do you "know" you're adorable?"
- "Dad at some point I'm going to get married. I can't be here forever!"
- "Dad, it was just a kiss."
- "Dad, I'm allowed to do things. I'm not 83 anymore. I'm allowed to like people or go see the world again."
- "What do you mean... Doesn't exist?"
- "Is it true? That you're a human?"
- "I don't care! I still want to be with you!"(referring to Jonathan)
- (to Dracula)"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!"
- (to Dracula)"Will you erase my mind?"
- "Hey, guys!"
- "Hey! What are you doing here? I thought you were 'planning'."
- (To Jonathan)"Why are you back?"
- (To Jonathan)"I'm your zing? But... you told me you hate monsters."
- (To Jonathan)"I think we can."
Memorable Quotes (Hotel Transylvania 2)[edit | edit source]
- (To Dracula) "I love you, dad, but we don't even know if the kid is going to be a vampire. I'd be thrilled if the baby is human-y just like Johnny."
- (To Dracula, after he gives her Monster Ball Soup) "Aw, thank you, Dad. Just like you made it when I was a kid. My favorite."
- "Dennis said his first word!"
- (To Dennis) Bleh, Bleh, Bleh"
- (Referring to Dennis) "Dad, his baby tooth wasn't a fang, why would this one be? He's not a monster."
- (To Jonathan) "Johnny! Dennis is not a monster!"
- (To Jonathan) "Johnny! have you tried this slurpee?
- (To Jonathan) "Johnny, look! They're making a TV show about this place and we're the stars! HELLO WORLD!"
- "Holy rabies! This looks like a blast!"
- (To Dennis) "You know who's coming? Daddy's whole family. Grandpa Mike and Grandma Linda, all your cousins and aunts and uncles will love you so much! And then they're gonna be with us when we move to California!"
- (Referring to Dennis) "I'm just not used to being away from him."
- (To Dracula)"Maybe you've let humans into your hotel, dad, but I don't think you've let them into your heart."
- "Holy rabies! Limbo! I used to love that game..."
- "Maybe if Dennis grows up away from Transylvania, he won't be so freaky...like me."
- (To Dracula) "It's a little harder to catch my breath since... I'm pregnant."
- (To Dracula) "I was worried Dennis wasn't safe around other monsters. Now I don't even feel like he's safe around you."
- (To Dracula) "We'll have his birthday party here on Wednesday, then we're moving."
- (To Dracula) "Well, we've been talking about moving. Somewhere safer for Dennis. Maybe where Jonathan grew up in California. I'm sorry, but you can't just make somebody something they're not."
- (To Dennis) "Let me hear you sing!"
- (To Vlad) "I don’t know why I ever invited you!"
Memorable Quotes (Hotel Transylvania 3)[edit | edit source]
- "You’re stressed out from working too hard. You need a vacation from running everyone else’s vacation. And I know just how to fix it."
- "Come on, there’s so much to do! You can go scuba diving, try some exotic foods or just enjoy the view!"
- "There's something about that woman I don't trust."
- "Dad, stop trying to hide it from me. And I know what it is."
- "Now, are you ready for me to destroy you in monster ball?"
- "Of course, I want him to be happy. Just not with her."
Young Mavis Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "What out there?"
- "I'm scared!"
- "Don't take my candy!"
- "I'm flying! I'm flying!"
- "Ouch! I'm okay."
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name Mavis means "songbird" (French) and "song thrush" (English).
- The name came from the name of the type of bird, also called the song thrush, derived from Old French mauvis, of uncertain origin. It was first used as a given name by the British author Marie Corelli, who used it for a character in her novel 'The Sorrows of Satan' (1895).
- Miley Cyrus was originally cast as the voice for Mavis, but Miley ended up leaving the movie to focus on other projects, so Selena Gomez took the voice role instead.
- Mavis never really heard about "Hawaii" and calls it "Paradise" but pronounces it "Haweewee". She also said "Hawifi" once.
- She is skilled at sewing.
- She was born on September 28th, which makes her a Libra.
- Mavis may also be Jewish. In the interview, Dracula said that Mavis's 118th birthday will be bigger than her Sweet 116th and also bigger than her Bat Mitzvah. The term, Bat Mitzvah, is a direct pun off of the term, Bat Mitzvah, which is a Jewish coming of age ritual. Bat is Hebrew for girl and Mitzvah is a commandment and a law. It translates to "daughter of the law".
- Adam Sandler, the voice actor of Dracula, also happens to be of Russian-Jewish descent, meaning that Dracula mentioning a Bat Mizvah can be seen as a meta-joke of his voice actor's own Askenazi background.
- Mavis is the ingenue of the story. Ingenue is generally a girl or a young woman who is endearingly innocent and wholesome. Typically, the ingenue is beautiful, gentle, sweet and often naive.
- Her room number is 174.
- The name Mavis was initiated in the 1895 novel "The Sorrows of Satan" by Marie Corelli which featured a character named Mavis Clare. Mavis is said to be a "rather odd" but suitable name as "she sings quite as sweetly as any thrush." Marie Corelli refers to the Song Thrush, a bird that breeds across Eurasia. It is known in the English dialect as mavis or throstle. Between the 1920s & 1940s the name Mavis had its height in popularity, but its usage declined as the name was seen as rather unfashionable since the 1960s.
- Even though she possesses the same vampire powers as her dad, hypnotism, super sight, strength, and speed, she doesn't use them very often. It wasn't until in Hotel Transylvania 2 that we saw Mavis use some of her powers such as her increased strength, shape-shifting, and telekinesis.
- In the beginning of Hotel Transylvania 2, Mavis poses for multiple pictures for her wedding day, despite not appearing in any of them due to her being a Vampire.
- In the pictures, she is seen invisible.
- In the second film, Mavis has a profile picture for her phone despite it being impossible for her or anybody else to have taken the picture.
- In the second film, Mavis decides to fly back to Transylvania as a bat carrying Jonathan Loughran because they were unable to get a flight in time. That would mean Mavis flew at least 6000 miles from California to Romania while carrying Jonathan, signifying that Mavis is remarkably strong and doesn’t get exhausted easily even if she is a vampire.
- Mavis' profile picture for her phone is from a scene in the first film where she is watching Jonathan play his quick guitar song for her 118th birthday.
- Mavis mispronounces "Santa Cruz" as "Santa Claus".
- In Hotel Transylvania and Hotel Transylvania 2, Mavis wore a long cape that is kind of similar to Dracula.
- In Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, Mavis' cape is fully absent.
- She Look Simliar To Liane From Nickelodeon's 1997 TV Series Cartoon Crossover there Both Teenagers They Are Both Mothers They Both Had Boyfriends (Johnny (Mavis) Randy (Liane)).