This article is about a phrase in the film. For the song, click here.
A Zing, also known as "love at first sight", is a special feeling and status described in the Hotel Transylvania universe. It only happens when one person meets his or her soulmate, they will spend entirety with forever.
Even though it's said that you only zing once, Drac zings a second time when he meets Captain Ericka Van Helsing (Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation). Indicating that once a monster has forgotten, or has not been reminded of their former Zing (i.e. former wife or husand) they are capable of zinging again. An example is in the short, Puppy! Dracula does not has a portrait of him and Martha in his bedroom, implying he has recovered over mourning her death.
- Dracula and Martha (A deleted scene of the prologue called "Love At First Bite")
- Jonathan Loughran and Mavis Dracula (Hotel Transylvania)
- Dracula and Ericka Van Helsing (Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation)
- Drac is currently the only known monster who has zinged more than once.
- It's possible that if a monster's soulmate dies (such as Martha), a monster can zing more than once, similar to how widowers (a man who has lost his spouse by death and has not remarried) and widows (a woman who has lost her spouse by death and has not remarried) can remarry if the husband or wife has died.
- There's a minor fan theory that Ericka Van Helsing could be a reincarnation of Martha, which goes along with the whole "a zing only happens once in your lifetime". With Ericka being Martha reborn in a human body, it might have explain why she fell in love with him so fast which is a part of her remembering Dracula and her love for him.
- Despite the feelings between of Winnie and Dennis that they have for each other, they have not actually zinged with each other yet. In Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, Dennis is shown feeling slightly uncomfortable and visibly flustered when Winnie kisses him and he tries to avoid eye contact when she flirts with him in order to make them zing with each other later. According to Dennis, he is too young to zing; this could be attributed to him not being emotionally mature enough yet to face having such feelings for his best friend.
- It is unknown if only monster or a human can zing because a human boy named Jonathan Loughran actually zinged with a female vampire named Mavis Dracula.